2 Corinthians 10:3-5
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
INTRODUCTION (Definition of a Stronghold)
• A "stronghold" is a spiritual fortress where a power has control.
• Some dictionaries call it Strangle hold – place of Chocking, A base used to squeeze the life out of an Individual or a system.
• The other meaning is a Fortress (These fortresses exist in the thought-patterns, opinions and ideas that govern individuals, Families, Churches, Communities, Cities, Nations, Countries and Continents.
• In the O.T., a stronghold was a fortified dwelling used as a means of protection from the enemy. These were physical structures, usually caves high on a Mountainside, and were very difficult to attack.
• Obviously, Paul uses the word "stronghold" to define the spiritual fortress wherein Satan and his demons hide and are protected.
• These fortresses exist in the thought -patterns and ideas that govern individuals and churches, as well as communities and nations.
As we begin to develop kingdom mindsets in the End-time church... it is imperative that we begin to Understand there are FORTRESSES TO BE DEMOLISHED.
Then the LORD spoke to Moses in the plains of Moab by the Jordan opposite Jericho, saying, “Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them, ‘When you cross over the Jordan into the land of Canaan, then you shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their figured stones, and destroy all their molten images and demolish all their high places; and you shall take possession of the land and live in it, for I have given the land to you to possess it. ‘you shall inherit the land by lot according to your families; to the larger you shall give more inheritance, and to the smaller you shall give less inheritance. Wherever the lot falls to anyone that shall be his. You shall inherit according to the tribes of your fathers. But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then it shall come about that those whom you let remain of them will become as pricks in your eyes and as thorns in your sides, and they will trouble you in the land in which you live. And as I plan to do to them, so I will do to you.’”
Further definition of Strongholds
A stronghold is a source of defense for the devil, where demonic or sinful activity is actually defended within us by our sympathetic thoughts toward evil.
• Paul defines a stronghold as "arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God..." A demonic stronghold is any type of thinking that exalts itself above the knowledge of God, thereby giving the devil a secure place of influence in an individual's thought and emotional life.
• Listen to Jesus' testimony: "I will not talk with you much more, for, the prince (evil genius, ruler) of the world is coming. And he has no claim on me - he has nothing in common with Me, there is nothing in Me that belongs to him, he has no power over Me. (John 14:30) Amplified
SOURCES AND EXAMPLES OF STRONGHOLDS
(This is not an exposition of all the strongholds and how they affect people. However, all these have proven to have devastating effects.) In every territory Satan builds certain strongholds that programs the mindset of the people and Manipulates their behaviours. I have put them in the following categories
1. Music - Heavy Metal, Rap, Reggae
2. Media - Movies, Computer Games, pornography
3. Witchcraft - Black Magic, sangomas
4. Secret Societies – Cults, Sects, Freemasons,
2. The World Systems
1. New Age – philosophies
2. Media - television & newspapers
3. Values - Pre-marital sex (Hugh Heffner) sexual disorders
3. Life Experiences
1. Childhood experiences – incest
2. Rejection - unforgiveness, bitterness, anorexia
3. Fear - depression, unnatural withdrawal, addictions
4. Pride - rebellion, stubbornness, self-righteousness, perfectionism
5. Curses – words spoken in anger,
Example: Joshua 6:26 At that time Joshua pronounced this solemn oath: "Cursed before the LORD is the man who undertakes to rebuild this city, Jericho: “At the cost of his firstborn son will he lay its foundations; at the cost of his youngest will he set up its gates.”
1 Kings 16:34 In Ahab's time, Hiel of Bethel rebuilt Jericho. He laid its foundations at the cost of his firstborn son Abiram, and he set up its gates at the cost of his youngest son Segub, in accordance with the word of the LORD spoken by Joshua son of Nun.
Exodus 20:5 "You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing t he children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me…,”
Generational Sins - Alcoholism, sexual disorders, extrasensory powers (Competence in Evils Spirits), domination etc.